RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
joel strickland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:00:37 -0700
OncoLink FAQ: Antiperspirant use and Breast Cancer

Last Revision Date: Friday, 27-Aug-1999 00:22:28 EDT
Copyright © 1994-2000, The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania

This is a response to a question about a possible link between
anti-perspirant use and breast cancer.

Question:

Dear OncoLink,

A friend of mine forwarded a frightening e-mail message to me today
regarding a link between anti-perspirants and breast cancer. As I
understand
it, there are sweat glands all over the body, and closing off the ones
under
the arms should not pose any problem. However, this message I received
claims that closing off these glands forces toxins into the lymph
nodes
where they can accumulate and cause cell mutations thus increasing the
risk
of breast cancer. I am an educated individual and not prone to
believing
everything I read unless I can verify authenticity through several
sources,
so I am asking for yours or your colleagues' opinions on this matter.

Thank you for your time.

KB

Ivor Benjamin, MD, Assistant Professor in the Division of Gynecologic
Oncology and co-Editor-in-Chief of OncoLink, responds:

Dear KB,

Chronic exposure to any chemical may be considered as a potential
"irritant"
that could lead to mutations within the DNA of cells (genetic code)
and
ultimately cancer. In some cases (e.g. cigarette smoke), the constant
"irritation" causes well-documented DNA damage in lung cells and after
years
of punishment, the cells eventually become cancer.

In the case of deodorants and antiperspirants, the reasoning may be
considered. However, the evidence is just not there. I am confident
that
aluminum containing deodorants and antiperspirants are less
carcinogenic
(i.e. DNA damaging and ultimately cancer causing) than cigarette
smoke,
however, it is unknown if they MAY in some cases lead to problems.
However,
it is VERY reassuring that these products have been used by millions
for
decades without any clear evidence to support that they are harmful.

In his excellent book about complementary therapies entitled "Women's
Health" Andrew Weil, MD discusses this topic on page 16. We have
reviewed
this book on OncoLink.

http://cancer.med.upenn.edu/causeprevent/faq/faq_antiperspirant.html