From:
David Abbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 06:29:21 -0500
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:35:37 +0530 Bharat Ale
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Hello all,
>
>Sorry if its been already dealt with but which do you reccomend
>for a Celeron - Slot 1 or Socket370 and why ? Any performance
>difference between the two ? Any other benefits of one over the
>other ?
>
>TIA
>
>Bharat

Hi Bharat,

I am still trying to remember where I read this, TomsHardware?, anyway,
Socket 370 may be your best bet.  In fact, I believe somebody already
pointed out on this list that the last slot 1 to be produced will be the
600MHz flavor.  Socket 370 costs less, and as per rumor, will be the one
that Intel can to the most with in the future.   I cannot point out any
specific performance results, just suggesting that the Socket 370 may be
a better CPU to go with for longevity.  If you are looking for one that
will be supported for several years to come, you can probably forget it.
Nowadays, a proccessor is doing well to last, what, a couple of years
before being phased out for a newer version?  Besides, and I may get
hollered at here, when the 133MHz bus comes out in full force, this, I
believe is where you will see the Socket 370 take off and run while they
phase out the slot one.

Sorry if this all seems like rumor, I just can't for the life of me
remember where I read this..........
just my half cent for the day.

David A. Abbe
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>