From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:52:27 -0400
Chuck,

The first part just identifies the circuit board.

The markings on the chip vary from one manufacturer to the next so it is
somewhat of a guessing game.  But there are standard items that they all
include.

For your chip, LGS is the initials of the L. Goldstar Company, who may or
may not have made the entire RAM stick assembly.  I'm fairly certain that it
is NOT PC-100 compatible and if f there are 4 chips on the stick, then I
believe it is a 64Meg stick.  I have no experience with their computer
products, but (IMHO) they make an acceptable (but not near the top of my
list) line of video and audio products.

My best guess for the details is-----

GM ----- Goldstar Memory

72V ---- V usually indicates voltage, so a logical guess here is that the
chip has a max voltage level of 7.2 volts, although that seems high.

16821 ----- This is the actual part number (it may also include the CT)  For
some makers, they build in the RAM size, in this case, I don't know.  But,
the 16 might be Megs (4chips x 16Megs = 64Meg stick).

CT  -------- ????

10 ------- should be the clock speed, 10 nanoseconds. Which means that it is
NOT fast enough for PC-100.

K --- I'm not sure.  Some manufacturers use letter codes to identify speeds
but in this case it is probably something else.

97516  ------ production date info. 97=1997 51 is probably the week of the
year, and 6 would refer to a production line or plant.  But since week 51 is
Christmas, maybe the 5 is the plant and the 16 is the week.  Anyway, it is a
fairly universal manufacturing format.  Year, week, and physical location.
(You can even find the same kind of code on a can of beans at the grocery
store.)

Korea  ------- country of origin

To be absolutely sure, you could call an electronics supply house ( a REAL
store, not Radio Shack) and they should be able to look up the chip info for
you.  Or you might find something on Gold Star's web site, but I doubt it.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====