C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy E Scherer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 00:41:32 -0600
>Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:41:26 -0500
>From: "Lara W. Cushing" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Quiet list

>One of my friends does this also.  I found that talking to her in a calm
>voice, sort of telling her that I am approaching her, works best.

>Lara

Yeah, this is something that I have to deal with as well. And, I really
appreciate it when my friends let me know when they are approaching me.
But, a lot of times, even a little creak of the floor will cause me to hit
the ceiling...especially if I'm reading or concentrating on something.

I just try and keep a sense of humor about the whole thing -- I have had
some pretty funny experiences, specifically in a class situation when my
professor randomly called on students...regardless of whether they
had raised their hands or not. As you can imagine, since I had no idea
when my professor was going to call on me, I was rather "jumpy" in that
class! At the beginning of the semester, this particular professor thought
I was scared of him! :) I later explained the situation to him. But, I've
got to admit that it was pretty amusing!

~ Amy

        "I don't ask for a lighter load...just broader shoulders".

                        -- Michael J. Fox --