C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barry Ashby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:11:03 -0400
Hi,

I have a 4 1/2 yr old with athatoid CP.  Where therapy is concerned, I am a
firm believer in the more the better, especially in the first 5 years.  The
brain is continuing to form neurons and neural pathways.  The more therapy,
especially with good follow up at home, the better the chance that the
brain will form pathways around the injured areas.  My Stephen has
progressed far beyond what anyone thought he would and is sitting,
crawling, and pulling up everywhere (this is a problem since he still
doesn't have much balance or the protective movements used when one falls).
 Still we allow as much freedom of movement as possible, despite the trip
to the ER for staples after a head laceration.

AFO's have been helpful in maintaining a continuous stretch on his achilles
tendons (I've been told that to be effective the stretch should be
maintained for at least 20 min.).  He has very tight tendon/muscles in all
his joints.  The AFO's also give him support while he is walking or
standing and his feet are areas of the body that he doesn't have to try and
control himself and can concentrate on other body parts while moving around.

We also use soft knee immobilizers at night while he sleeps for his
hamstrings (also very tight).  I was worried that we would stretch him
during the day then watch him spend 10 hours with his legs pulled up in a
fetal position.  These have helped a great deal also.

Do you have a stander yet?  You might check with your PT to see if one
would be appropriate for your child. This also helps with stretching but
more importantly it allows the child to put weight on the hips, joints, and
legs to encourage better development.

These early years are difficult for you...often feeling like a roller
coaster ride. It does get better!  Good luck to you all, it sounds like you
are on the right tract.

Best Wishes,
Kim