RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:26:32 -0800
>Dr. Bernarr answers: I do not advocate the closing of civil courts for civil
>suing. If the offender in this or a similar instance chooses not to cease and
>desist after the plaintiff attempts to lovingly reeducate and warn the
>offender defendant, the plaintiff can choose to sue the defendant for
>whatever damages the civil court decides the plaintiff incurred.
>Dr. Bernarr, D.C., D.D.

I encourage you to contact an attorney skilled in copyright issues,
and discuss your case. If the material is already registered (copyrighted),
you might get the sum of:  $100,000 fine + attorney fees + damages.
If the material is not yet registered (it's easy to register -
go to Library of Congress  web site, download form TX, fill it
out, send form plus $30 plus deposit materials to Copyright
Office, Library of Congress; send materials certified mail,
return receipt requested - keep receipt and copy of filing materials),
you can probably get $$$$$ damages and a court order forcing them
to 1) stop using your material, 2) make a public admission that
they infringed your copyright. Possible damages might be a $ royalty on
each and every copy of "Raw Power" sold. After all, they have
stolen your material and are making $$$ off it. You deserve
your fair share of the money--it's rightfully yours. Think
of filing suit as educating them (NFL) about copyright infringement
and plagiarism. :-)

I'm not an attorney and the above comments are not intended as legal
advice. Again, I encourage you to get an attorney: in my opinion,
you appear to have a strong case against NFL, and pursuing the issue
would not only teach them a lesson, but would put NFL's dishonest
ways into the public court records as well.

PS if NFL has already copyright registered your material as theirs, you might
have a case for fraud - civil, or possibly even criminal - against them.
Also be sure to discuss possible punitive damages with your attorney
as well - i.e., possible damage to your reputation. The Bar Association
in your area can give you a referral to attorneys who work in copyright/
intellectual property.

Tom Billings