RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:11:02 -0500
From:
Gary Orlando <[log in to unmask]>
Don,

I could not find any scientific studies to support the position that
more
meat eaters have b12 problems than vegetarian.  I had heard this from
what
I believe are reputable sources, but there are no studies to that
effect that
I could find.  It seems to be a widespread problem from what I have
read,
many subclinically, especially in older individuals, and is not
related to
intake of "b12", for those that have problems, but absorption and
assimiliation.

excerpt from one study:

"Oddly, the researchers found no association between plasma B12
 levels and meat, poultry, and fish intake, even though these
 foods supply the bulk of B12 in the diet. "It's not because
 people aren=B9t eating enough meat," Tucker said. "The vitamin
 isn't getting absorbed." In the elderly, it's probably because
 they don't secrete enough stomach acid to separate the vitamin
 from the meat proteins that tightly bind it. "

Or they are cooking their meat, which destroys b12?
Or, it's michio's fault.

Gary