RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:35:46 -0500
From:
Gary Orlando <[log in to unmask]>
>Regarding B12, to avoid illness, I think one must have some
>foods of flesh original to avoid B12 deficiency (I will avoid making my
>sarcastic comment about how zero B12 for more than two years affects brain
>functions and impairs thinking....) - meaning if one assumes all nutrients
>can be obtained from natural unprocessed foods, some foods of flesh
>original will greatly reduce the risks of B12 deficiencies.  Any doctor
>will take this position too and there are plenty of case studies and
>scientific research about how vegatarianism increases this risk.

I am not denying that b12 is a problem.
There are various solutions.
- animal products
- supplements
- hoping that body production is sufficient
(many make that claim after years raw)

>I don't think supplements are a good idea unless it is
>temporary to while one fixes one's diet to include the proper nutrition,
>and supplementation usually intereferes with absorbption of other
>nutrients.

possible, but I have seen nothing that indicates that b12 supp.
specifically causes any problems.

>An example, if one takes folic acid pills it changes B12 in the
>body; one needs more B12.

I have read about that being the case.