Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:50:15 GMT
Melissa,

I would say, due to the fact that you state you only recently started trying
to use your modem, that it IS probably the modem itself that is the problem.
  What you are describing is typical of either an incorrect setup string for
a modem, an incompatibility problem, or a bad modem.  I would suspect the
setup string first, but given the make of the machine, a bad modem is a
better possibility that most.  You might do some research on the
intialization string most appropriate for your modem, go into your modem
properties, get into the advanced settings, and under additional parameters
(I think that is the box name) put in the init string.  One you might try if
you can't find anything particular is "AT&F&C1&D2".  This seems to be a good
generic one that works often.  Good luck!

Kyle

>From: Melissa Walker <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCBUILD] Modem doesn't connect
>Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:28:21 -0700
>
>I recently started trying to dial into the world with my 3-year-old PC
>(Packard-Bell Windows 95) at home.  I have tried connecting to ISPs and
>other (e.g. phone number to register my copy of Quicken).  Perhaps 5% of
>the time I can connect.  The rest of the time, I hear it dial, I hear the
>tones and the static, then the static intensifies and there are more tones.
>  After about a minute, it gives up and tells me it can't connect.
>Sometimes it makes a noise that reminds me of film slapping in a projector
>after the movie is over.  I have successfully connected maybe 5 times in a
>month.  Since I've tried to connect to NetGenie, AltaVista Free Access, MSN
>30-day trial, and Quicken, I assume the problem's on my end.  The phone co.
>says the line is OK (office check).  I've tried several internal
>configurations of phone connections.  I have unstalled and reinstalled the
>modem (internal Aztech Sound III 336SP), but it doesn't want to stay
>uninstalled.
>Is there something I can do to "prove" that the problem is or is not a bad
>modem?  Any other options?
>Thanks.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html