From:
Chris Spreitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:02:25 PDT

I received a lot of comments about my problem with a borrowed angel food
cake pan.  I did end up using the pan after I had soaked it for awhile,
scraped the residue with a pin, then used an old tooth brush on it, and
then ran it through the dishwasher again.  There was no visible residue
left on it.  I made the cake and none of my four celiacs had a problem with
it.  They all enjoyed their treat -- as did some non-celiac friends and
family.  However, I have ordered a shiny new non-nonstick pan to use next
time.  The Gluten Free Pantry Mix is fast and easy and, most importantly,
delicious!

Several people warned me not to use a nonstick pan or nonstick spray with
the angel food cake because it would fall.  I already was aware of this, I
wanted to know if I could use the old aluminum pan without a nonstick
surface but with some questionable residue around the tube in the center.
On the other hand at least two people said that they had used pans with
nonstick surfaces and had had no trouble at all.

Lucy Shriver from the Gluten Free Kitchen sent me this URL
http://bridgekitchenware.com/cgi-bin/scodb.cgi/s=bridge&uid=19023&a=s&p=208
which is a shop specializing in bake ware.  Several people told me that
Pampered Chef sells a stoneware fluted pan which works well (I'm a big fan
of this stoneware, I have several pieces -- but not the cake pan --yet!)
Some other suggestions for where to purchase non-nonstick bakeware were
also sent to me.  Somebody suggested checking the yellow pages and also
told me about a company called Sweet Celebrations 800-328-6722
(Minneapolis) and King Arthur Baking Catalogue (800-777-4434).  Wilton Cake
supplies at http://www.wilton.com was also suggested.  Another person
suggested the common mall store "Lechters" as a source for an angel food
cake pan.  I also got some suggestions for checking at Goodwill or St.
Vincent DePaul's stores for used pans (but I think they'd probably have the
same problem my friend's pan did).

Several people had suggestions on how to deal with my borrowed pan such as
using a toothpick or pin on the residue, use Easy Off oven spray, use a
vegetable brush, line the pan with aluminum foil or waxed paper.

Finally, I heard from Beth Hillson from the Gluten Free Pantry.  She told
me that she had gotten herself a shiny new aluminum tube pan but that the
cake slid right out of it.  She decided that the surface was too smooth --
the egg whites needed something to "climb" on.  So she roughened the
surface with some steel wool and reports that the pan works beautifully
now.

Thanks to all for your help!

Chris in CA
MoM of Eileen, Anna, and Laura