From:
Patrick Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:17:53 -0400

Hi folks,

I'm off to a resort this weekend on a work retreat.  One of the organizers
asked me to send him an electronic version of my restaurant card so he can send
it to the resort .  Since I was making the effort to type it I thought I would
send it to the list.  I received this card from the Canadian Celiac Association
when I was diagnosed almost five years ago.  The CCA gave me permission to
distribute the text from the card to the list.

I should mention that my company makes a tremendous effort to accomodate my
diet for all of our company functions.  Wheather we're working late and need
take-out or planning a Christmas party, someone always consults me on the
menu.  I am very fortunate.

Alright - here it is.

I have Celiac Disease - a medical condition in which the small intestine gets
damaged when I eat foods containing gluten.  I must treat my condition by
strictly adhering to a gluten free diet.  I must not eat any foods made with
wheat, rye, triticale, barley or oats.  All of these grains contain gluten.
Even a small amount of these foods will make me ill.

Food to avoid
Wheat, rye, barley, quinoa, oat and spelt flour.  Bread, rolls, cakes, pies,
cookies and muffins.  Noodles and pasta.  Soups, sauces and gravies made with
wheat flour.  Crackers, cracker crumbs, bread crumbs, batter, graham crackers
and graham cracker crumbs.

Hidden sources of gluten
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP), Hydrolyzed Plant Protein (HPP), wheat
starch, modified starch (unless specified as corn or rice), malt, and malt
flavouring.  Any of the above ingredients can be found in such foods as
bouillon cubes, soup or gravy bases, sliced or processed meats, spices and
seasonings, soy sauces and salad dressings.

Safe Choices
Fresh meat, fish, fruits, vegetable, eggs, and cheese.  Fresh herbs and
spices.  Rice, corn, soy and potato products.

Pat
Patrick Dean
Senior Technical Writer
The Bulldog Group Inc.