From:
"Guldenpfennig, Joni" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:16:58 -0500

Thanks to everyone!

I received several replies to my quest for a GF Cream Cheese.
Here is the summary of the responses:

"I am under the impression that the only major brand of cream cheese that is
GF is Froger brand."

"Hannaford Cream Cheese
Kroger Regular Cream Cheese
Land O Lakes Cream Cheese
Stonyfield Cream Cheese
All are Gluten Free, I hope this helps and you can get these at your local
store."

"I'm not sure the status of Philadelphia brand  cream cheese, but I do have a
letter (a bit dated) from the Beatrice Cheese Company about the Sweetlife
brand of cream cheese.  Supervalu carries this cheese.

Contact info: http://www.beatricecheese.com/"

"I've heard various comments about Philadelphia crm. cheese so I was able to
find an alternative from the Cabot Creamery at 802/563-2231 in Vermont.  I
can purchase a variety of Cabot products at Whole Foods in Wheaton, IL.  I
know they have many other locations, they are a health conscious store."

"Yes, cream cheese is gluten free, but beware of velveeta!  It is made from
wheat flour and made me sick for 2 days after eating one slice on a burger!"

"I have had no trouble with Philadelphia Cream Cheese and I lived on it at
first, till I started getting too Fat.  Good Luck"

"Philadelphia brand cream cheese (regular) is GF. "

"As far as I can tell cream cheese is gf.  I have 3 different versions in my
frig and they seem to be fine.  Plus when I eat dessert out at a restaraunt
cheesecake is the one dessert I can eat with no problems."

"On your cream cheese - hope I'm in time for your picnic. Page 20 of the CSA
Cooperative Gluten-free Commercial Products Listing (3rd Edition) shows the
following GF products:

    10/96 Axelrod:    Cream Cheese
    07/95* Beatrice:    Cream Cheese
    10/96 Crowley:    Cream Cheese
    04/95* Kroger:    Cream Cheese
    02/95* Meijer:    Cream Cheese
    04/97 Soy-Free:   Rice based Products - Cream Cheese
    04/97 Soymage:   Dairy Free Products (Casein Free) - Cream Cheese"

"Philadelphia is not gluten-free.  If you can find Raskas, it is gluten free.
I've spoken with a representative and they sell their cream cheese to
supermarkets all over the U.S., but under that supermarkets' private label.
Look at the end of the cream cheese and if it has a 555 or 600 it is Raskas
and it is gf.  Otherwise, our Costco sells it in a 5 lb brick under the name
of Raskas."

And if you're in Canada:

"According to the Kraft Canada list published in August 1998, Philadelphia
Cream Cheese is gluten-free."

"Philadelphia Cream Cheese is Gluten Free, here in Canada."

Again, thanks for all of the replies!

Joni G.