From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:32:36 -0700
At 09:35 PM 11/15/1999 , Jim Cook wrote:
>Hello,
>      I have a computer that I built for a customer about 9 months ago.  Everything has
> been fine until yesterday when the computer, during boot up would show the message
> "Windows Protection Error, You Need to Restart Your Computer".  After restarting,
> everything would be fine.  I've had it here checking it out and it will only have that
> message every 4 or five boot ups, not every boot.  I've checked Microsoft website but
> there is nothing about this message.  Can you help?

It is difficult to give you an exact area to check without more information,
such as the version of Windows, hardware involved and so forth.

I have seen this issue with some Quantum Bigfoot hard drives and some
VIA chipset motherboards, (not necessarily together).   Since your question
is a bit vague, let me offer you the information that comes up from Microsoft's
knowledge base:  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q149/9/62.asp

Just so you know, typically this is caused by either a corrupted install of Windows
or a hardware conflict.  Here is the text from Microsoft:

        Microsoft Windows 95
        Microsoft Windows 98
        Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

    SYMPTOMS

    When you start Windows, you may receive either of the following error messages:
    While initializing device <device name> Windows Protection Error

            Windows Protection Error

    When you shutdown Windows, you may receive the following error message:

            Windows Protection Error

    CAUSE

    A Windows Protection Error means that an error occurred loading or unloading a virtual device
    driver (VxD). In many cases you can tell from the error message which VxD did not load, but in
    other cases you may not be able to determine which VxD caused the problem.

    Windows Protection Errors can occur when any of the following conditions occur:

        A real-mode driver and a protected-mode driver are in conflict.

        The registry is damaged.

        The Win.com or Command.com file is infected with a virus or is damaged.

A driver is being loaded from the System.ini file for which a protected-mode driver has
already been initialized.

        There is a physical I/O or RAM address conflict.

There are incorrect CMOS settings for a built-in peripheral device
(such as cache settings, CPU timing, hard disks, and so on).

        The Plug and Play feature of the computer's BIOS is not working correctly.

        The computer contains a malfunctioning system cache or memory.

        The computer's motherboard is not working properly.

        You installed Microsoft Office 97 and you are using the Novell Client 32 software.

    RESOLUTION

    To resolve a Windows Protection Error, try the following steps:

     1.Start your computer in Safe mode. If the error does not occur when you start in Safe mode
        or when you shut down from Safe mode, see the appropriate article in the Microsoft
        Knowledge Base:

        Windows 95:
            ARTICLE-ID: Q136337
            TITLE : Troubleshooting Windows 95 Startup Problems

            ARTICLE-ID: Q145926
            TITLE: How to Troubleshoot Windows 95 Shutdown Problems

        Windows 98:
            ARTICLE-ID: Q188867
            TITLE: Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems

            ARTICLE-ID: Q238096
            TITLE: How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Problems

     2.If your computer is a Plug and Play computer, reinstall Windows using the following
        command:
            setup /p I

        For information about installing Windows 95, please see the following article in the
        Microsoft Knowledge Base:
            ARTICLE-ID: Q129260
            TITLE : Windows 95 Setup: Description and Troubleshooting Steps

     3.If you are using the Novell Client 32 software, remove it and install the Microsoft Client
        for Novell Networks.

     4.Make sure that the computer's CMOS settings are correct. For information about changing
        CMOS settings on your computer, please refer to the computer's documentation or
        manufacturer.

     5.Install a clean copy of Windows in an empty folder. Choose the Custom installation
        option and do not let Setup detect the hardware in your computer. Install only a mouse, a
        VGA video adapter, and a keyboard.

    If the error still occurs, it is most likely caused by faulty hardware.

    MORE INFORMATION

    The VxD that is generating the error message can be any VxD--either a default installed VxD
    or a third-party .386 driver being loaded from the System.ini file. If you do not know which
    driver is causing the error message, create a Bootlog.txt file and check to see which
driver was
    the last driver initialized. This is typically the driver causing the problem.

    NOTE: You may also receive a Windows Protection error message when you restart Windows
    95 after installing a program or making a configuration change to your computer. For more
    information about this issue, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

        Q157924 Err Msg: "IOS Failed to Initialize" on Boot

    For information about resolving Windows protection issues, please see the following article in
    the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

        Q131431 How to Troubleshoot Registry Errors

    Additional query words: wpe corrupt

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org