From:
Jim Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:57:54 -0500
From: Guise Sandy & marc <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 1999 10:33 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] No Windows Boot

> Here's the problem
> When I boot up my computer (cold boot), I get the error message "Windows
> Protection Error- You Need to Restart Your Computer" as Windows 95 is
about
> to load. Most warm boots also result in same as well as any windows
restart
> from Dos mode.
> I can always get into safe mode but I can't find any errors there, altho'
> don't really know what I'm looking for.
> A few days ago I put in a new AMD K6-2 400, and the problem began some
time
> after that, but I don't think it's connected. That's the only change I
have
> made recently.
> Machine is Win 95, 32 EDO ram.
> One other point - I'm running the AMD at 66x5.5 (366 MHz) because I can't
> run the EDO at 100 MHz. (As soon as I get more cash, I'll buy some PC 100)
> I don't know if this matters, but just in case

Marc:
     Windows 95 and AMD K6-2 350 Mhz. processors and up have a problem with
timing or something like that. (too technical for me to explain)  You need
to go to the Microsoft web site and download a file named Amdk6upd.exe.
This file is a fix for the problem.  I copied the file to my hard drive and
ran it from the command prompt.  I just finished building a K6-2 350 with
Windows 95 and had the same problem.  I'll almost bet you have the same.
Hope it works.

Jim Cook
http://www.jimscomputersystems.com

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: