From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:55:21 -0400
Chuck Hassenplug wrote:
 >I have a K6-233 that I am trying to install in a machine that is using
 >a California Graphics Photon 100 HC motherboard. Previously, I had this
 >chip in a FIC PA-2013 and it ran flawlessly. Now, when I transferred
 >it to the Photon, making sure the jumpers were correct, the chip
 >overheats very quickly, until the motherboard's heat sensor sounds the
 >alarm.

Two years ago I looked into getting a K6-233. At that time AMD was
very adamant that users should use this CPU only on approved motherboards
(tested by AMD) because the K6-233 drew a large amount of current. In
particular, high quality switching voltage regulators were required on
the motherboard. (AMD also suggested use of special CPU heatsinks for
this CPU.)

Is it possible that the motherboard's heat sensor is detecting heat
given off by the motherboard's voltage regulators more so than the CPU
itself? Perhaps the Photon 100 HC motherboard cannot handle the high
current required by the K6-233 and properly dissipate all the heat from
the regulators. (Is the heat sensor on the motherboard and not part of
the CPU socket?)

You might want to see if you can attach 40mm fans to the motherboard
voltage regulators to help cool them. (Do the voltage regulators even
have heat sinks attached? These heat sinks would be on chips in the
neighborhood of the CPU, in addition to the heat sink that is on the
CPU heatsink.)

This all supposes that your voltage, FSB frequency, and multiplier
settings are correct right now.

Regards,
Bill

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: