From:
Richard Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:04:36 -0600
My two bits...

We (Paleo Eaters) are trying to avoid two things, allergies to foods,
and hyperinsulinism.
The mild allergies to some foods (e.g. grain) are theorized to cause
arthritis and heart disease.  The hyperinsulinism causes diabetes.

That is really what a Paleo Diet is about.
Now for each food candidate we need to see if either of the above
is a problem.  One can either go only by personal testing
or can go by general population allergy rates.

By pursuing Paleo Diets with the no grain, no dairy (or not much)
and no beans as a guideline we broadly eliminate many substances
that our present society does not think are allergenic.  This is the
general allergy by population approach.

The rule, "Eat only foods that can be eaten raw" gets rid of
classes of food, such as grains, dairy, and beans, that are probably
allergenic because they are recent in evolutionary history
as food for Man.  Coincidentally, these foods also a frequently
strongly allergenic among the total population.

I see a lot of argument on this alias about specific foods, lately
tomatoes.  Such "odd ball" foods that don't easily fit a broader
classification and do not have good general population data
must be tested on an individual basis.  Try a few weeks without
them, then try a few weeks with them.  How does it feel?

There are also foods that are very difficult to eat without
eating waaaaaaaay to many carbohydrates, such as
potatoes.

Another good analytical approach is just ask yourself the question,
"Do you know anyone who is allergic to ........ or have heard
 some stories about being allergic to it?"

E.g.
Beef - I have never met anyone who is allergic to beef.
   there must be someone but it is very uncommon.
Pork - Nope
Sheep - Nope
Chicken - I have some allergies to chicken, maybe.  This seems to come
  and go, so it may be what the chickens are eating, or how it
  is cooked.  When I cook it it is good, when my wife cooks
  it it is not good.  Is this some psychological thing?
Peanuts - Yup, my daughter is deathly allergic to them as
  is my sister and ......
Corn - Nope, but I know lots of people (on this list) that
  cure arthritis by eliminating corn.
Wheat - Oh yeah, lots of people are allergic to wheat.
Milk - I know many people directly allergic to milk.
Lettuce - Nope, is ANY one allergic to lettuce?
Celery - Nope
Carrots - Nope
Olive Oil - Nope
Peanut Oil - Yup, big time allergies.
Nuts - Yup, lots of people.  This is a tough one.  Are nuts really
Paleo?
  I find I get a bit of a buzz from nuts if I eat too many.  The thing
is
  that nuts are just so Paleo because Indians ate nuts, acorns and
such.
  Maybe they are not so good allergy wise, but were a ready source of
  calories.
Beans - Nope, but many beans are poisonous if not cooked
   so I 'm suspicious.  (Oh, yeah, Peanuts are beans)
   In fact some of the "nuts" are beans and there are definitely
   problems there.  To me beans are semi-Paleo for the same reason
   nuts are.  There a native american food.  Then again, so is corn.
Fish - Some people are alergic, but seems to have some very good
properties too.
Chocolate - Yup, but I don't seem to be.  There is the cafine though,
and sugar in
  it.

OK, so how does one decide?  My approach is to follow the Paleo
guidelines, then after getting a realy "clean" diet, experiment.

What 1.5 years of experience has shown is....
Lots of salad with olive oil, some meat, lots of fruit.
If trying to loose weight, less fruit, more meat.
If trying to build muscle, more salad and fruit, less meat. (higher
energy level
to excersize)
Bacon and Eggs in the morning, pre-cooked-then-frozen-and microwaved
meat for lunch at work, and dinner is a huge salad and some meat.  A
little
chocolate seems OK. Fish once a week.  Some nuts with honey, like
cereal.
Occasional french fries or other indulgence.
Lots of water.
Lots of sleep (don't do too well on that one.)

Richard Keene, Novell Inc, Provo, Utah, 801-861-4389,