From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:22:05 +0200
Todd Moody wrote:
>I believe there are several variables here, one of which is
>calories.  Even with all the necessary enzymes present, there is
>a limit to how much fuel the cells can use, and what is not used
>is stored as fat...We excrete only small amounts of macronutrients,
>even when we consume large amounts.

Excess calories can't be just discarded by the body,
they *have* to be stored or used.
But i'm optimistic, i think that our
food intake regulation will stop intaking (by stoping appetite)
if the needs are fulfilled.
Some wrote on this list,
that we "normally" would be in a kind of "storage mode"
to help copeing with times of shortages as a survival factor.
I doubt this.
Because even with little body fat, we *can* survive
fasting periods of many weeks.
On the other hand much body fat could be quite hindering in a
hunter/gatherer existance and i haven't seen obese ones.
Or could you imagine Pavarotti (the heavy itailan tenor singer)
escaping an attacking lion? By climbing a tree, he he?
Retaining a sharp body size is evolutionary more important than
the ability to fast many additional weeks, i think.

After this thought, big weight gains would only be possible
*if* some signals were present, really signaling
shortages, maybe on vitamins, or by feeling constantly hungry.
Or a dysfunction,caused by an inability to *use* the energy properly.
For body heating purposes is a good example.
It uses up a big percentage of the daily calories amount (1700 kcal?)
Mammals' bodies keep the regular body temperature very constant.
Today, many persons are complaining or experiencing that the
normal body temperature actually drops below our normal
37 grades (celsius).
Why? Do you think it's a shortage on energy calories? Obviously not.
Inability to use them by enzyme shortages are my guess.

>> Can thiamin supplementation lessen fat gain (as you suspected)?
>I don't know.  It should theoretically enhance carb utilization.
Over and above that, i think that a thiamin shortage can even
prevent carb usage.

Ah, some paleo-nutrition conclusions:
- paleo is rhight! no extraction, no modifications please, no sugar
- fat may substitute a big part of carbs
- better aviod too sweet clutivated fruit (bananas are at the limit)
- search some good thiamin sources (nuts are)

regards
Amadeus

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net