From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:55:28 -0700
-
>Do you buy them still alive?  If so, how do you kill them? Or is it best to
>buy them raw (killed) from a shop and then let them sit out in ambiant
>temperature for 24 hours?  Is it hard to peel them?  Any special
>directions?
I buy crabs alive and ask the saler to kill them . He do that by breaking
the crab underneath on the side of the sink, and let whole for 24 hours, i
eat sometimes the orange brown substance inside the shell too.
thre are easy to shell once the meat inside is "ripe enough to not stick to
the shell anymore. i break the legs with a nut cracker or cut them in half
lenghwise with a knife.
Shrimps are bought dead.

>Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.  Did you also suffer
>depression/mood swings with too much fruit?
yes

>What about the fact that these shellfish are usually gotten in warmer and
>shallower coastal waters where there is more pollution?

It is a concern , and more problematic with fish at the end of the food
chain like Tuna , because they concentrate pollutants in their tissue
despite the fact that they live in "cleaner "water.
It is not a reason for me to not eat them because
1 - pollution is affecting all the ecosystems to some degrees and it is
becoming harder to escape from it.
2 by eating a food , we might become more concern and vigilant at protecting
the direct environment of this food.
Not eating it is more likely to make people unconcerned by pollution
jean-claude

jean-claude