From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:20:18 -0400
On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, n c wrote:

> >This brings up the question of, how do you define low carb?
> >Is it under 20 grams a day? I know I am much lower carb than SAD, but not
> >under 20 grams.
> >Does anyone know the definition of low carb, or is there one?
>
> The Atkins 'induction' phase is under 20 g of carbs. However, when the 2
> week induction is up, you slowly add carbs by 5 g increments until you stop
> losing weight or even gain some (a number that varies individually). That
> partcular point is what he calls the CCL (Critical Carb Level).

The trouble with this concept is that as you add carb you also
add calories, unless you are simultaneously subtracting fat or
protein.  It is therefore unclear whether you discover your
critical carb level or critical calorie level.  In fact, it's
unclear whether there is any such thing as a critical carb level,
as Atkins defines it.

There is no formal definition of low-carb that I have ever heard
of, but I think the term just refers generally to diets that are
lower in carbs than the "average" diet.  I think many Americans
easily consume 200 grams of carbs per day, which is about 900
calories' worth.  Oliva suggested that 100g or less is low-carb,
and I think it's true that very few people consume such a small
amount of carbs, unless they are very small to begin with and
consuming a small amount of food.  For most people, 100g would
be a much smaller amount of carbs than what they are used to.

Todd Moody