From:
Cecilia Moen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:21:01 +0200
I'm the one with the 2 1/2 yo who is allergic to grains, rice, etc.
but isn't interested in eating meat.

Rachel wrote_
>1)  Have her help you grow, gather, and prepare the food

This she has always done.

>2)  Show enthusiasm for the foods.  Make happy faces while making and
>tasting foods, new foods especially.

While modeling enjoyment of food is important I doubt faking emotions
do any good. I have changed my diet so that she won't wonder "why do
you eat this and I don't" but can't do much more than that... This is
new to me too, and I probably show this. I am not sure if I like red
meat so much. I ate a big piece of raw meat yesterday (with only a
LITTLE soya sauce dip, ok Jean-claude? ;-) ) and while I was pretty
pleased at actually eating it I did not particularily enjoy it. It
doesn't melt on your tongue like raw salmon exactly ha-ha. But maybe I
just need to get used to it...

Anyway most meals I end up eating alone and she just watches. She
talks alot about meat and points at it in the store etc. But she is
NOT interested in eating it... She will pick up a piece of meat and
lick it and then put it on my plate.  I buy some bloodpudding and we
put that in the fridge and then I make some meat and she says
hopefully Bloodpudding tomorrow? She eats what is on the table, so
when there is nothing there she wants she eats nothing... But she has
a place where she can get cashews and raisins etc. She has eaten so
many cashews lately her stools are almost white and she has gotten
spots in her face. That can't be very good either?

I have tried raw beef, pemmican, slow-cooked in the oven, fried in the
frying pan... ground beef made into meatballs, meat loaf, plain,
salted, seasoned with tomatoes...
I've tried beef and moose. I haven't tried pork because I would prefer
to avoid that myself but I guess if I had to eat it I would.

She will eat fish soup (can't get fresh fish right now) and grilled
chicken and bloodpudding (which I would like to avoid as it has a
little grains in it). And I wonder how much a body is influenced by
what a mother eats during pregnancy. I mean, they know today that a
fetus can recognize smells like garlic... There is always much
discussion about environment versus hereditary factors but I wonder,
the human womb is the FIRST environment. I know lots of vegetarians
who began to eat meat during pregnancy, but I never felt the slightest
interest for anything except fish.

well, ramble here.
Cecilia in Sweden

P.S: About Americans eating a lot of meat, yes that is what people
think here. I think the average Americans eats 4 times as much meat as
the average Swede.