From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:30:21 -0400
On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Ken Stuart wrote:

> Except that what I think Richard is saying is that it is difficult, if not
> impossible, to duplicate the Paleolithic diet today.
>
> So, there may be value in supplementing a Paleolithic dietary approximation,
> such as Neanderthin.

I agree completely.  We should always remember that we are
experimenting with *approximate interpretations* of hypothetical
paleolithic diets.  There is a lot we don't know about what real
paleolithic people ate, and may never know.  Ditto for their
health.  Moreover, the foods we can get are in many cases
substantially different from the foods that we think they ate.

Example: Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is now recognized as
having a body-fat reducing effect.  The main dietary sources are
beef and dairy, but only from free-range animals, not feedlot
cattle.  Those of us who cannot have a constant supply of
free-range meats might well consider CLA supplementation,
especially if fat loss is a goal.

We also know that cooking and time between harvest and
consumption cause degradation of vitamins, and most of us are not
eating fresh-killed or fresh-gathered foods.

Supplementation is relevant.

Todd Moody