From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:37:28 -0600
Wally Day wrote:

> Ok, I'll try this one last time.
>
> The original question that I responded to was what
> kind of oil would be preferable for a paleo diet

My approach is that oils made from paleo ingredients are acceptable:
olive oil, oils made from nuts (almond, walnut, macadamia, etc.),
coconut oil,  avocado oil, flaxseed oil (flax grows wild by itself).
Oils made from neolithic foods are not acceptable: soy, corn, peanut.
Oils made from non-edible
ingredients even worse: cottonseed oil, never a human food.
I don't use canola oil, an extremely recent agricultural invention.
The more processing goes into an oil, the more you should stay away from
it.

I use some olive oil, coconut oil, and chew flaxseeds (rather than using
flaxseed
oil).  But most of my fat intake is directly from nuts, dry coconut, and
meat fat.
As time goes on, I use less and less oil; dressings on high quality raw
salads
seem superfluous now.

As far as using oil being Paleo, I think back to Ray's Waldorf salad
with
paleo mayonnaise.  You can be "paleo" without being closed-minded.
We live in the real world, and getting too "pure" ties up too much of
your
life energy.

My 2c worth, anyway
Lynnet