From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:55:24 -0700
> Ken wrote:
> >
> >  Everyone I know personally, who is not religious,
> is absolutely terrified
> > that
> >  there might be a god.   One of those people goes
> to lengths to avoid any
> > sort of
> >  discussion that might tend to convince him.

I would not assume that response is because they are
terrified of the presence of a god or of conversion. I
am not "unreligious", but I am not very religious
either. I avoid getting into discussions of gods or
religion with someone who is *very* religious for one
of four reasons: that I may somehow "ruin" this
person's life by disproving one of his/her points;
that this person will no longer enjoy my company
because of the differences in world view; that the
discussion will get very heated and this person will
"fly off the handle" and start calling demons out of
me (this actually happened); or that the "discussion"
will be so illogical it will go absolutely nowhere.
Plus, I have noticed that the religious are usually
better prepared to support their side of the argument
because they are either coached by their religious
leaders or they have just plain rehearsed their
arguments (a lot of times they just "attack"). Of
course, there are reasonable religious folks out there
who are sensible, reasonable, open minded, and know
their religious history. I very much enjoy bantering
with these folks.