From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:04:43 -0400
On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> I'd prefer to express protein needs not in "percentage of calories"
> but in "need for amino acids" for building up body proteins.

We've discussed this before, Amadeus, but once again I'd like you
to consider that dietary protein may be valuable for reasons
beyond anabolism.  First of all, since we use 58% of dietary
protein as fuel anyway, the body isn't all that averse to using
it for this purpose.  Second, and more important, protein is the
only significant dietary factor causing the pancreas to secrete
glucagon, an important hormone that balances insulin.  If Atkins,
Sears, and the Eades (and other low-carb diet advocates) have
done nothing else, they have at least shown the importance of
keeping insulin and glucagon in balance.

The assumption that protein that is not anabolically into cells
is wasted and therefore "excessive" is unwarranted.  While I
don't doubt that it is possible to eat excessive amounts of
protein, as far as I know there is no evidence that amounts even
in the range of 35% of calories cause any health problems at all.

Todd Moody