From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:30:43 -0700
Lady Ariel wrote:

> Wheat seems like it's allergic reactions HAVE to be more elusive than
> other allergens.  I mean wheat is in almost *everything* if it comes
> in any kind of package, or is processed in any way...it most likely has
> wheat.  So, look at the sheer numbers of people who are allergic and must
> not know it.  I had a friend in college who had all the tests and he'd
> go to a restaurant and say, "I'm allergic to wheat."  And every single
> time the waitperson would get a funny look and say, "unbelievebable...I've
> never heard of such a thing."

I've been celiac for 5-6 years now, and a number of times I've asked about
what the enchiladas or what-have-you are made of, stating that I'm allergic to
wheat ("celiac" or gluten intolerance is just hopeless to get across).  The
waitperson says something like "These are flour tortillas; they don't have any
wheat in them" or
"The pasta is made from flour.  You should be just fine."  Duh!

Now that I'm grain-free, I don't even bother to ask.

Lynnet