BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:24:22 -0600
Ken Follett wrote:

> In a message dated 1/20/00 9:34:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > They were operated by a power lever and stopped at the right place by the
> operators.
>

> Any body out there got stories of adventures on steam elevators?
>
> ][<en

No but I do have a story about the Operating Engineers who drive the lifts @
construction sites-

Few years ago did a job in Jersey-
Building informed me that we would have to put an operating engineer @ the self
serve freight elevator for the duration of the job-
One thing led to another & it was almost a year before I got rid of him and the
client was pretty peeved about the passed along cost.
After a brief hiatus, -
during which the client had had their lawyers carefully review their lease & I
had reached out to a few of the boys in the other unions it became apparent that
the main reason for using an operating engineer was that the bldg. manager had so
many relative in that local-
we were scheduled to start another project and I asked for a meeting with the
local Business Agent in re the upcoming project,
I explained that we had no intention of using an operating engineer @ the
upcoming work, because if I did then I would be forced to honor the plumbers
claim to put a flusher on in each of the existing toilets....

Better believe I left before dark that night...

DD