Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 01:49:27 -0400
At 02:57 AM 2/28/99 GMT, Ken wrote:
<snip>
>When I subscribe to the local newspaper, there is absolutely no accompanying
>notion that I send a letter to the editor telling everyone about myself.
Nor
>is there usually any such information about any of the writers in
newspapers or
>magazines.   (In fact, if you did want such information, it can be hard to
come
>by.)
>
>I've participated in newsgroups and mailing lists for ten years, and I'm
>baffled as to where this idea originated.    My guess is that it must be a
>crossover from some other social form that I am not aware of.   Anyone
have any >ideas?

------------------------------------

Dear Ken, List --

I have a few ideas.

I believe that you're assuming another crossover when you compare mailing
lists with about 300 subscribers (many lurking, usually) with a newspaper
or large newsgroups with thousands of readers.

A mailing list is, IMHO, more like the old Greek agora, where a small
community comes to talk with each other. I see no reason for impersonality
on a list unless the numbers get too large.

That said, my short intro:
I'm a piano tuner, and I live in Oregon. I like to garden. I'm planting a
lot more small fruit this year, currants to join the blueberries and
raspberries which I graze every summer.

I'm a friend of Les Smith, whom I met on another (piano tuners') list. I got
him to give up the Diet Pepsi, and sent him NeanderThin. His story, if you
care to hear it, and he cares to tell it, is quite striking.

Lynnet Bannion is my sister. She sent me NeanderThin for Christmas. We both
have the same weight problem; mine is a little worse than hers.

I'm gradually reading the archive to find out who many of you are. I'm glad
the list is so international, and I'm glad that the list's rules included
the suggestion of an introduction.

Susan

(Cheers back)

Susan Kline