BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - Dwell time 5 minutes." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:35:55 EDT
In a message dated 6/22/99 1:51:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> 1.  I thought our strongest "weather" was from the west, and,
>  2.  I have never seen such a disparity on a single piece of stone.

Mr. Gray,

City wind directions on a localized basis are conditioned by the
configuration of the buildings.
Direction of weathering will occur from prevailing wind, which, having
Central Park to the east allows easterly wind to travel further without
intervention than a westerly -- which would have hit a building sooner and
lost mommentum. Relatively more aggregate can be picked up and carried with a
longer duration of wind. Weathering can also occur as a result of the run of
water on the face of the building. Where the masonry is soiled the water
usually does not run -- this may or may not have anything significant to do
with direction of wind. It is quite common to find stone ornament weathered
on different sides. More unusual to find even weathering. The above
discussion does not bring in the sun, which can also create havoc.

][<en