BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - Dwell time 5 minutes." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 09:57:00 -0400
I passed the shoe shine man's stand last Friday. Whenever I go past his stand, he always looks at my feet.  I have always thought that was a reasonable way for him to behave.  (No, this is not a resurrection of the loafers, boaters, and wingtips thread).

Friday, though, I saw him walking toward me on the street.  He averted my eyes, and instead looked at the sidewalk.  If I had not known him, one would have thought him shy, or introverted.  But no.  He has very consistent behavior.  Even away from his stand, he cannot help himself...he's got to see if your shoes gleam.  He lives his profession...it's in him.

It made me wonder what people think of preservationists walking along the streets.  It looks like we are always looking to heaven.  What do they make of us?  Do they think we are particularly pious?  Some of us do pursue preservation with a certain degree of zealotry.

Dan Becker, Exec. Dir., RHDC
Raleigh Historic Districts Commission