BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - Dwell time 5 minutes." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:06:09 -0500
Michael,

Not many people know this but.... the Cuban slate was actually brought from
Italy from mines originally started by Romans.  The Dutch brought this in
large blocks to then Saint Domingo, nowadays Haiti.  It was used as ballast
for the ships.  After Rome they would pick up the slaves on the Ivory Coast
and head for the Caribbean.  They needed the slaves because the Indigeons
(as the local peoples were then called) were already taking to the mountain
life preferring it to working for the Dutch.  Those that stayed became know
as the Arawaks for their skill at "whacking" the blocks and creating perfect
slates.  Later still, but way before the American Revolution, some slate
began to make its way by dug-out to what is now Cuba.  The locals used this
slate to write down their stories.   As with any good lexicographer, they
would then pile the slates for future reference.  Unfortunately, every time
it rained the writings would be washed off the slate.  Amazingly (maybe
because of its Roman origins) this slate came to have a Latin name:  Tabula
Rasa or "clean slate".  It is not only used for roofs, but also tables and
has become a very popular material for countertops.

I find this the most plausible explanation and not very many people know
this.