RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:33:52 -0500
Paul,

>> >I still have problems with a lot of sweet fruit, no matter what I eat or
>> >don't eat it with - physical and mental fatigue, swelling and
>> stiffening in
>> >the body.
>>

>> I personally used to be biased against eating a lot of fruit in the diet.
>> And I was afraid to eat a lot of fruit in my diet. But my intuition and
>> experience lead the way, and I found out that I was wrong about what I had
>> intellectually believed.
>
>I don't doubt your experiences at all. And I don't doubt that some other
>people do well with a lot of fruit for some time. But for me, I don't sense
>these problems at all being related to detoxification. In fact besides the
>other problems sweet fruits, especially grapes, make me constipated! Who
>knows, maybe that could all change if I got really 'cleaned out' inside; I
>don't know...

I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but I too, used to suffer
various problems related to eating much fruit. Particularly when I was still
including cooked food in my diet, while I was transitioning to an all-raw
diet. I primarily experienced fatigue, "spaciness", dizziness, and generally
felt "out-of-wack". These problems continued for a few months even after
"going all-raw". But they eventually subsided and abated, and are now
conspicuous for their absence. It seems that the problems (for me) stemmed
from two main factors: 1) Toxicity/detoxification and 2) metabolic
imbalances. I overcame that, over time. I ate, fasted, exercised, rested,
meditated, sunbathed, etc. my way out of those problems. And I followed my
intuition all the way, and overcame my "fruit fears". I'm glad I persevered,
as the rewards have been wonderful, and I've improved more and more, over
time, and continue to do so. I feel there's always room for improvement.

>But I think based on problems other people have had with modern
>fruits, I will likely always limit them.

Most cultivated fruits have a very reasonable glycemic index, and still do
contain plenty of fiber. They're a fiber-rich food (the amount varies per
type of fruit, of course). And as with any other food, it's advisable to eat
high-quality fruit. As for any nutritional discrepancies that may exist with
cultivated fruits as compared to wild fruits (minerals, etc.), that is
probably easily rectified by eating other appropriate foods in the diet, to
balance out the fruit. So, in short, I don't feel that "modern" cultivated
fruits are really a concern at all. And just about every type of food
available to most people has been changed from the wild state.

BTW, anyone have any idea what the fruits that chimpanzees, bonobos, etc.
are like in terms of nutritional composition? I was told by someone who has
researched this issue, that many wild (tropical) fruits do actually contain
high sugar content.

>But I remember after that, and all the anesthesias, drugs and
>hospital food, having a grossly distended abdomen from all the stress on the
>liver. I still don't know how I survived with a functioning brain or body,
>since I only discovered 'natural health' several years later (though even
>when I more or less recovered I had lost a lot of my vitality from
>everything my body went through).

Better late than never! I feel that one's health can continue to improve
over the course of one's life, providing that one lives in harmony with
natural laws/laws that govern health and wellness. One need not "plateau" or
degenerate, as most people inevitably do.

>Its common sense if you think about it. If undigestible SAD food residues
>are not eliminated, then where do they go? They have to go someplace. The
>proof of this is what comes out with, it appears, EVERY person who actually
>does one of these programs! I can say this because I joined an online
>cleanse community and I am reading all the first-hand reports of the
>results. Whether a 7 day colenema cleanse would be worth the trouble or
>beneficial for someone doing well and eating like you, who knows? The people
>who get the most dramatic benefits from these programs are the 60 year old
>overweight arthritics who have eaten the industrial diet their whole lives
>and are carrying huge amounts of this crap around.

I've read that many people eliminate a lot of disgusting worms during those
programs, too.

Wes