RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 16:39:23 +0200
Carol:
> I like salad without dressing.  Most folks I know who use vegetable
> oil in salads use it for the way it helps to stick spices etc. to
> the veggies.  I've met very few who use naked oil, and those who do
> often do it because they believe it's good for them, not because
> they like the taste that much.

I usually don't use dressing, but occasionally like a little olive oil
on my endives or my carrots.

> > Just using cold-pressed oils _instead_ of hydrogenated oil is
> > already a healthful practice.
>
> Might be just the lesser of two evils.

I don't think cold-pressed oils are "evil"; at worst neutral,
perhaps. Oils are indeed processed, but so are juices (do you also
consider juices as evil?).

> > The low death rate from CHD in France (so-called "French paradox"),
> > which is about twice lower than in the US or in North European
> > countries, is attributed to the consumption of red wine and of olive
> > oil
>
> By some.  It is attributed to other things by others.

I just checked the WWW page "FLUID MILK CONSUMPTION PER CAPITA"
<http://www.fas.usda.gov/dlp/circular/1997/97-07-Dairy/milkpcap.htm>

and I see you are right that the French are moderate milk consumers,
and that Northern Europeans and Americans consume much more milk,
especially Finland which has one of the highest CHD rates in Europe;
and that French people are heavy consumers of butter and cheese, so
the culprit is fluid milk and not other forms of dairy (with the
cautionary note that correlations are not causes).

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>