NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:10:09 -0700
On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:54:38 -0400 Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> IMHO, the only time to switch is when no amount of mom's dietary
> adjustments help and you need to determine whether food is the
> primary trigger.

Unfortunately, that takes time and effort both on the doctor's part and
on the mother's.  Compliance can be difficult and requires education on
food ingredients as we all know too well on this list.  I found from
personal experience that our first pediatrician would rather hand me a
can of formula than deal with breastfeeding complications.  This also
applied to researching meds I needed to take for chronic conditions.  Our
current ped. is much more in tune with things and relies on say that the
baby is sensitive to something.

Fortunately, I persevered and ignored the ped.  I worked with my
allergist instead, found this list, and much other info - but it took
work and time and I had precious little support especially in the
beginning.  I had to educate myself.  When the medical community doesn't
(or won't / can't) take the time to be bothered, it's hard to expect
people who rely on their knowledge to be bothered and question authority.

Kathy P.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.