CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Martin W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 08:11:31 +0100
Jonathan Julius Dobkin wrote:

> Unlike governments (which use violence to eliminate those they disagree
> with), I'm a pacifist. Your slander is not only despicable, but bizarre,
> a desperate attack which has nothing to do with what I said. Your
> willingness to throw around words like "terrorist" is disturbing. You
> owe me an apology.

Yes, I see that I do.  I misunderstood you, since you did not identify
yourself as a pacifist, and without that identification my analysis of
your messages makes sense.  I apologize.  Now, interpreting your
messages again, in light of your being a pacifist, and given that the US
government is not pacifist and won't be for many years to come no matter
how passionate about pacifism you profess to be, is having Powell as
Secretary of State better or worse for the world than anyone else George
Bush might nominate?  I claim we are fortunate to have him there,
because the alternative would be much worse, given that Powell appears
to be the only person in the administration who is standing against the
others.  I'll guess that most of the others would like to be rid of
him.  Complaining that both alternatives are evil from the pacifist
point of view, while rational, won't do any good.

martin

--
Martin Smith               email: [log in to unmask]
Vollsveien 9               tel. : +47 6783 1188