CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:49:11 -0800
Anrej posts the following "quote" from Einstein:

 "I came to America because of the great, great freedom which I heard
existed in this country. I made a mistake in selecting America as a land of
freedom, a mistake I cannot repair in the balance of my lifetime." -- Albert
Einstein, 1947

This is supposed to be a withering riposte of some kind to my reply to
Abdoman's taunt about America's alleged moral bankruptcy.

News flash Andrej: this quote appears exactly one place on the Internet--at
http://chumbly.math.missouri.edu/famousleft/einstein/ae.quotes.html, as part
of some ramshackle unfinished website for "progressives." It is sourced to
someone named "Michael Williams," and there is no contact person to verify
it.

Excuse me if I'm not convinced. This quote appears in NONE of the many
extensive Einstein websites/quotepages that exist out there. Aside from the
fact that the quote makes no sense--was anyone keeping Albert from
emigrating?--it is hardly the kind of thing a man enshrined on US postage
stamps would say. Just to make sure, however, I have email into the
webmaster of the biggest Einstein site I could find.

Meanwhile, Einstein is quoted as saying the following:

"Making allowances for human imperfections, I do feel that in America the
most valuable thing in life is possible; the development of the individual
and his creative powers."

http://www.chesco.com/~artman/einstein.html

--
Tresy Kilbourne