CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 23:40:08 EST
In a message dated 2/8/00 10:55:17 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I dont like censorship; I try to respect one , for me precious, advise that
>  prof Chomsky had once gave:"If we dont believe in freedom of expression for
>  those we despise, then we
>  dont believe in it at all" , and I wholeheartedly agree.
>   But I have to react when it comes to racism; and this sentance:
<snip>
>   Therefore, realizing that free speach has sense only until it recognize
>  it's limits, I call the moderator of the list, and the participants, to
>  react because of the display of racism which is being painfull to cope
with,
>  not only for myself, but for the other fellow serbs, boys, pariahs, niggers
>  and vicious racis ont his list too.
>  In solidarity,
>  Liberty and Internationalism,
>                         Andrej Grubacic

This is the standard "I believe in freedom of speech but..." argument that is
always followed by a demand to silence another's right to free expression.
And then, demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of what free speech
is, the complainant basically acknowledges that free speech should be limited
to those opinions which reflect the complainant's own beliefs, or at least be
limited to those opinions that don't upset him.

   I don't know what you think you are in solidarity with, I know I don't
think you know what Liberty means, and I'll skip whatever it is you plan on
spreading internationally.
Yours,
Issodhos
p.s.  So many Americans have been called racist, nazi, and fascist simply by
virtue of disagreeing with fellas like you that the words, when used in such
a manner, have become meaningless.  You need to update your script.