CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
alister air <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:39:33 +1000
At 06:48 29/03/99 -0500, F. Leon Wilson wrote:
>For your information . . .
>
>Comments?

Yes.

>NATO bombing only makes it harder for the pro-democracy movements of both
>Serbs and Albanian Kosovars in Yugoslavia. NATO bombing has already
>worsened the ethnic violence on the ground by providing cover for stepped
>up action by both the Serbian army and the Kosovo Liberation Army.

I was listening to some guy on Australian radio station JJJ who was
researching comparitive genocide and he said that, in almost every recent
attempt at genocide, a war gives the perfect cover.  Furthermore, air
strikes won't accomplish anything without ground troops to back them up.

So, what you've got is air strikes stiffening support for Milosovic, and
hardening Serbian opinion/feeling against the Albanian Kosovars, in
conjunction with the perfect opportunity to wipe them out.

Now, if we can work this out, surely the people organising this war can
too.  This genocide researcher person obviously isn't the only person who
can come up with this sort of thing - he said it's reasonably basic
history.  What he was spelling out were the lessons military history teach.

Assuming the war organisers know this, why are they doing it all?  What
could their aims be?