C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:40:10 -0500
Hey.

I am running behind in emails so this may already be answered but here
it goes....

The research that I am still writing the discussion for (last chapter)
looks at the similarities and differences of brain injury and Cerebral
Palsy.  It is very interesting and I will post the information on my web
site as soon as I defend the research.

There is a distinct difference between CP and TBI...time.  Cerebral
palsy is the classification of a brain injury which occurs at birth and
up to a couple of years following birth.  It is usually occuring within
the motor strip of the brain (running from the very middle/top of your
head [Frontal/parietal lobe]to the points where your ears are [temporal
lobe]).  A traumatic brain injury occurs when you have a stroke, anoxia,
or trauma (usually car accident or gun shot wound).  It occurs during
adolescence and adulthood.  The stats are 2:1 for males getting a TBI.

Identifying a brain injury can be simple to very difficult.  Usually if
you fall and hurt your head you receive a glasgow coma scale on entry to
the emergency (or a "rancho") which is a short check list to see if
there is an injury.  There are a lot of scanning possibilities to locate
an injury or stroke such as MRIs, CTs, PETs, SPECTs, fMRI etc.. which
can also be used.  A mild brain injury may not show up on any of these
scans or the check list so people can have symptoms (post concussion
syndrome) which last for a long time without any diagnosis.  If anyone
has any questions please email.

Both CP and TBI cause many similar and different psychological positives
(really) and negatives.  This is the point of my research

By the way my research website is still up and you may want to check out
the questions.  I don't think I will be using anymore data so it is safe
if you want to look at it and do not want to participate.  If you do go
right ahead....I will try to fit you in.