C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 09:15:50 -0400
Hi everyone,

I've got a question for the group...I had hamstring lengthening surgery
in June and am on the mend.  All is going pretty well except I have lost
MEGA muscle mass in my legs.  Two weeks after beginning to walk again
post surgery, I was able to get up and step down from a curb without a
walker or support.  Then I got tendonitis really bad in my hip and all
rehab stopped for about 4-6 weeks.  Now I can't lift my own body weight
to step up on a curb or down at all unless I have something to hold on
to.  Through some testing by the PT, I have virtually no measureable
muscle mass in my hamstrings and very little quads/calves.  I have been
doing leg extensions and leg presses with fairly low weights for the
past three weeks and am not seeing a change.  Anyone have any
suggestions?  Has anyone ever used any of these "body building" protein
bar, drinks, pills etc. that are supposed to increase muscle mass
faster?

I do know I have to balance my strength training and stretching very
carefully or I will lose the flexibility I've gained.  I'm spending at
least two hours a night on stretching.  Now I think I have to beef up
the strength component if I ever want to get back to where I was.  Any
thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Linda