BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:07:45 EST
Mr. Gray,

EFS is E____ Foam System. It is the styrofoam/polymer coating stuff placed on
such panelized building exteriors as shopping malls, hotels, office buildings,
and increasingly is used to mimic olde things like keyed eyebrows on windows
or corner quoines. I suspect in future it will be used increasingly to
accurately mimic stone and cast iron to the eye. Just don't poke it with a
stick. Nobody, as yet to my knowledge, has thought much about the future
problems of cleaning, repair to match existing (talk about color matching!),
or environmental disposal. It does not hold up well to contact with humans...
at our local mall the sidewalk columns are covered w/ it and big chunks have
been taken out by pedestrian traffic. And I have one report of woodpeckers in
Texas nesting in it. I'm not sure how that works because I know that when our
chickens eat styrofoam cups left in the yard they get constipated. The benefit
of EFS is that labor cost in installation is lower than for non-panelized
systems. It also gives stucco masons a job.

As to dues... I gave already.

][<en