BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:37:00 -0500
Re LARA's commentary: "at UVA I saw
>students drowning in the modern dogma against learning or referring to
>history in their work."

As one who "took a degree" from UVA (one is not said to have "graduated"
from UVA), I am shocked to hear this characterization of dogmatic teaching.
What's happened since the days of respect for Mr. Jefferson's fine
institution?  It's bad enough for students to bring in ignorance and
impatience for the past, but for the faculty to promote tunnelvision to the
future is unthinkable.
I had the honor of giving Marcel Breuer and his wife a tour of Monticello.
While walking through the Jefferson bedroom, I pointed to the skylight in
the ceiling and said, "Look, a Breuer window."  Mr.  Breuer  asked, "What
is a Breuer window?"  I said, "You know, the Whitney Museum, the big
opening on the inside funneling to a smaller opening on the outside."
Breuer's eyes widened, and he said, "I thought I invented that, but it
looks like I'm not so inventive after all."  --JimR