BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:57:00 -0500
No joke.  There are some real horror stories associated with the big chain
drug stores conspicuously targeting vulnerable and economically well
situated historic districts at village and town centers.  Examples from New
York to Texas include Walgreens, CVS and Rite-Aid ripping into Main Street
centers and eradicating the fabric, scale and sense of place in favor of
rubber stamp systems buildings and big parking lots.  When I say I didn't
so much mind Starbucks selling coffee out of an historic house so long as
the authentic fabric remains and remains clear, I also anticipate that
these so-called fashionable enterprises will not be around 20 or 50 years
from now after the (star)buck is made and taken OUT OF THE COMMUNITY.  Once
the fabric is gone, future generations inherit our refuse as well as our
treasures.  The National Trust (see Peter Brink) and the national Historic
Resources Committee of the AIA, of which I am part, is VERY CONCERNED over
new drug store development.  Some of these stores, CVS in particular, have
shown some responsiveness to a "better idea" when concerned
preservationists speak out early enough.  HEADS UP YOU OUT OF TOWNERS.
When we documented Grand Central Terminal in the late 1980'S, we found NOT
ONE ORIGINAL SIGN surviving from the original.  That's over 60 years, but
it underscores that when it comes to commercial property in particular,
very little really lasts... unless we choose to make it last.
End of Sermon.  --JimR