RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 06:07:25 -0700
From:
> > Carol:
> > The article didn't address this issue, but I wonder if more dairy
> > products are consumed raw in France.
>
> Jean-Louis:
> Some cheeses are made from raw milk, but they are not the
> majority. Milk and butter are usually pasteurized. People here are
> much less paranoid about bacteria than Americans, but raw dairy is
> nevertheless difficult to commercialize because stricter controls are
> necessary, and pasteurized milk preserves longer.

Here in Santa Cruz, CA, we used to be able to buy raw butter, cream,
cheese, and milk (goat and cow) -- even ice cream in some places!
They were never in the majority, but were readily available at
so-called health food stores.  However, the raw butter, cream and ice
cream have disappeared (the ice cream first, the butter and cream
only about a year ago).  There are state and federal agencies that
want to see all raw dairies put out of business; they might get
their wish yet.  :(

Carol