C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barry Ashby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:29:58 -0400
Hi All,

Stephen has had a lot of trouble with his AFO's for almost a year now.
Last fall he was casted for a new pair of AFO's which ended up rubbing huge
knots on the back of his heels (the start of bone spurs).  He was recasted
about 3 months ago but this pair was even worse.  The PT has returned them
a couple times but there wasn't any improvement.  We finally recasted him
this week and are going to try "posting" the big toes.  His heels will be
flat on the floor but the big toes will be padded way up so he has an arch
and will walk on the lateral sides of his feet.  Has anyone had similar
problems with AFO's?  Has anyone tried posting the toes?  If so, how did it
feel?  Any comments, suggesting, help will be appreciated.  His heels and
the red areas on his feet look very painful to me and he really needs AFO's
that fit comfortably so he can use them as much as possible.  I have been
feeling frustrated as I watch his gross motor skills regress and his
muscles/tendons get tighter.  He has had surgery once already for tendon
release of the hamstrings and adductors.  I don't want him to have to have
surgery again, yet.  I'm sure he will eventually need the achilles tendons
released but he will be better off if we can wait a few more years.

Best Wishes,
Kim