From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:42:33 -0000
On Thursday, September 30, 1999 6:57 PM, Holli Van Nest
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>Dear PCBuild folks,
>
>I will be purchasing 2 laptops soons (either Toshiba Satellite 4030
>or Dell Inspiron 3500).  Both of these laptops come with an option
>for a port replicator.  What do I need to be looking for in a port
>replicator?  Do they all allow use of an external monitor, keyboard
>and mouse?  What else is important?  I've never used one nor
>purchased one before.
>
>Thanks for your help!

A port replicator is a device containing common PC ports, such as serial and
parallel ports, that plugs into a notebook computer. The
purpose of the device is to allow you to easily attach a
portable computer to standard, non-portable devices such
as a printer and monitor. For example, if you use a
computer both at home and at work, you could set up both
work areas with a port replicator. Then, you just plug
in your notebook computer to the port replicator at
either location and you're ready to work.

Most notebook computer manufacturers offer a port
replicator as an additional option. A port replicator is
similar to a docking station, but docking stations
provide additional slots for adding expansion boards and
storage devices.  For additional info, pls visit these web sites:
http://www.yougeek.com/htbc/laptop/docklap.htm ,
http://www.toshiba.ca/my_html/partdiag/accessories_index.html,  ,
http://www.gy.com/spec/bfsuj.htm and http://www.try-
computing.com/docking.htm .  HTH. :-)