From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:02:08 -0700
On 9 Sep 99, at 20:39, Dwight Reese wrote:

> A previous message said:
> >  SDRAM is available only in DIMMs, and runs at 3.3v.  EDO RAM is available
> >in DIMMs or SIMMs; most -- at least the SIMM form and possibly ALL -- runs at
> >5v.

  I wrote that.

> I have been trying to upgrade my Packard Bell Multimedia R515.  There are
> 2 DIMM slots and the info I have on upgrading is that it will take 66 MHz
> SDRAM unbuffered DIMM's OR 60ns EDO (not ECC). No info on m-board jumpers
> for different voltages.  Currently has a 32 MB NEC MC-454AD645F-A10 DIMM.
>
> Would a EDO DIMM run at 5 v and require a m-board jumper change?  Are
> there any that run at 3.3? Tried a 64 MB SDRAM and was reported at 16MB.
> Is there a voltage difference between unbuffered and buffered SDRAM?

  "buffered" is a property of EDO; I don't believe there is "buffered" or
"unbuffered" SDRAM.  ["Buffered" EDO is recommended for systems with multiple
CPUs.]
  Some SDRAM is "registered".  More and more SDRAM is "SPD" (Serial Presence
Detect), also called "EEPROM" because that is the type of the extra little
chip that tells the motherboard about the DIMM.

  The PB memory upgrade pricelist at

http://www.webcom.com/pcboost/vikplst/PACKARD-BELL.html

doesn't list the R515 under ANY SDRAM upgrades, only EDO.  Is it possible
that the info you have on upgrading your machine is incorrect?

David G

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org