From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:37:13 -0400
Well, it looks like I've stirred up another one...
I hope this is still "on topic" in the sense we all need to be safe...
If I created any false impressions, I would be the first to want
them cleared up.
We are getting VERY heavily into what an electrician should be
consulted for.  I hope we have created a "need to know"...
Mark won me over, but only on some points.

I wrote a 12K response, but blew some formatting at the last
minute, and had to go to work...   I'm back *grin*...
Luckily, with a shorter version...

The bottom line is, if you want real cheap protection for your
computer, by all means get a GFI on the computer circuit.
(You can do it better!)    I guess what I meant was, I would do that
last...  Unless I only had the $10...

Remember,  I never said do not use GFIs  to protect people.
BUT, that part of the electrical code is complex, and
has variations in each local jurisdiction. (They get the last "say".)
Also, over the last thirty years the grounding rules have been
changed a lot, so you are likely to find "anything" in the field...

Everything I said can be backed up. The opinion part is (and I
am changing some of my views today),  a personal opinion.

Mark made two technical errors.  Receptacle GFIs DO
work without grounds, and are legal that way, sometimes.
I tried to give "general guidelines" indicating it was an
exception, rather than the rule.  They will bend the rule to
get you to use them (for people) rather than have you not
use them because you would have to break the rule.
This is not the place to debate electrical code issues.
My electrical supply house tells me Receptacle GFIs have
not had overcurrent protection built-in. They are designed
for identifying fault currents  that "stray" from the two current
conductors.
I took a recent (blown) Leviton receptacle GFI apart last night, before
my post, and confirmed that the ground is not connected to ANY
of the internal circuitry of the GFI. It just floats across the front face.
(Don't do this at home with a NEW one... You will misalign the
internal parts of the reset mechanism.)

Sorry if I caused any confusion about PEOPLE and GFIs.
I have burned through electrical cables bigger than my finger,
and understand the power and danger of electricity...
             Rick Glazier

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html