From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:50:28 GMT
I cannot remember the exact details on how to do this, and you may have to
get a little help with this, but I will try.

The easiest way to do this is to export the key that contains the licence
number from the registry.  This would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

The ProductId key sits in here.  You want to do this with a fresh load of
Windows 95, and the point at which you insert this into the new machine's
registries has to be identical each time.  Once you have the file (you can
name it whatever you wish) copy it to a floppy.  Now, create a batch file
that asks for the license number for the new machine, and then will replace
the entry in the registry export with that number.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the code to replace specific data in a text
file using a batch file.  But, if you are cannot find someone to help you
with this, email me off-list and I will take the time to create the code (I
know I have resources that can help me if I need it), and I will email you a
copy of the file.  Good luck!

Kyle

>From: John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCBUILD] Installing Win95b on refurbished computers
>Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:49:07 -0400
>
>Friends:
>
>I am installing Windows 95b OEM on newly refurbished IBM 750 P-90 Desktops.
>Since all are identically configured, I would like to speed up the process
>(we have 100+ of them). The problem is that we have a separate, licensed
>copy of Windows 95 for each machine (not a site license).
>
>I would like to save a GHOST image of one Win95b installation from one
>computer. However, I will need to change the license number and, less
>importantly, the User Name on each clone. I want to use a legitimate and
>fool-proof method. College student volunteers will be performing the work,
>so I don't want to teach them how to hack SYSTEM.DAT (unless it's the only
>way).
>
>What is the best method of changing the Win95b license number after
>restoring a Ghosted image?
>
>Alternatively, is there a better method of accomplishing the task?
>
>Thanks, in advance.
>
>John Chin
>Computers for Schools Program
>South Florida