From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 06:39:58 +0000
>On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 Sami Al-Mohssen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<snip>
>4. does anyone of you know an e-mail address of a server that can send me
>urls. you see, i live in saudi arabia and the Inernet is not availible
>yet.

Looking at your email address <[log in to unmask]> suggests
the Internet _is_ available in Saudi Arabia.

A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the address of an Internet resource
in a standard format, and if you look back through the email you have
received from this list in the last day or two you will see that
you have received quite a lot of them.

Your email address in URL format is "mailto:[log in to unmask]"

What I think you mean is that you cannot access the World Wide Web.
This is only _part_ of the Internet: a system of hyperlinked documents
available from Web servers using URLs like "http://domain/pathname".
In that case, sending you Web URLs is like sending a page from a
phone directory when you don't have a connection to an exchange
 - not of much practical use!

There are ways to access most Internet resources (except telnet)
by email, and a search at Alta Vista turned up the page
from Web Watch copied below.

Notice it is quite old and some links may be out of date,
but I can thoroughly recommend the Bob Rankin article on which
it is based. It is being maintained regularly, so hopefully
it will have up to date information.

Text of http://webster.aip.org/pt/webwatch/ww9706.html follows...

Physics Today's Web Watch

June 97: Web Access by E-mail

Occasionally we get requests from readers whose only Internet
capability is e-mail. In fact, e-mail is all you need to access
the Web, thanks to a number of servers that will retrieve documents
and send them to you. A good starting point for information on
this subject in general is "Accessing the Internet by E-mail,"
(ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers
 /internet-services/access-via-email)
by "Dr. Bob" Rankin. Indeed, most of the information in this Web
Watch is drawn from that source. His guide also spells out how to
use e-mail to access other facets of the Internet, such as Gopher,
FTP (file transfer protocol), Usenet newsgroups, WAIS (Wide Area
Information Service), Netfind, Archie and Veronica.

You can get your own copy of the latest edition of Dr. Bob's guide
by sending an e-mail to
with only the following in the text space, or body, of the e-mail:
  send senet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email

Alternatively, you can send an e-mail to the UK mail server
with only the following in the body:
  send lis-iis e-access-inet.txt

Perhaps you would like to have Dr. Bob's instructions in, say,
Chinese (cn or tw), Farsi (ir), Somali (so) or even Esperanto
(eo). Volunteers have translated the guide into about 30 languages.
Just send an e-mail to [log in to unmask] with the following as
the subject of the e-mail: send accmail.xx (replacing "xx" with
the appropriate two-letter code). Files in languages that don't
use the English alphabet will generally need to be uudecoded, and
you may also need special font files. For a list of languages and
related files available, use send readme.txt as the subject. For
general information on accessing these files automatically from
Dr. Bob, use send help as the subject. Naturally, the translations
tend to be less up-to-date than the original. Now, on to a few of
the servers. . . .
<snip>

I sent Sami the whole page, but, my fellow listers,
I can't send it all to you because there is a 120 line
message size limit on this list.

If this interests you, I suggest you request the excellent
"Accessing The Internet By E-Mail" (58K) now in its 8th Edition
and maintained by Gerald E. Boyd.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933