From:
"James E. Griffin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:09:48 -0500
Greetings folks,

I'm upgrading a few things on a friends compaq presario 9500. Of course,
he's mislaid the start-up disks from compaq. For starters, the system is
a pentium 100 on windows 95, 1.44 floppy, 14.4 modem, CD-ROM, 1.0x Gig
HDD, 24MB Ram; 8 on motherboard, and 8 each on simm1&2.

Adding 2 32 MB FPM Ram modules shouldn't be a problem. Likewise adding a
56k modem, though the proprietary hardware's a pain. I'll be upgrading
the HDD to a 6.5 Gig Seagate.

Question 1) Anyone remember off the top of their head what's needed to
get to win95b to address drives over 2.1 gig -- how proprietary is
Compaq windows anyway? Unless I'm mistaken the Presario 9500 bios
doesn't do LBA; I'll have to manually enter data off the face of the
Seagate drive.

I intend to proceed as follows -- anyone see a better way? Guest a Zip
drive on system, run Norton Zip rescue -- downloaded from web -- to
retain Compaq stuff in case disaster strikes. Back up hdd to zip disks.
Upgrade win 95 -- where is best source, i.e. a non compaq win95b OEM
CD-ROM, how do I get what I need to upgrade OS?

Don't think power supply has plugs to run CD-ROM and 2 HDD
simultaneously. Compaq IDE cable only has 1 drive connector -- swap out
for regular IDE cable, minding pin 1. Set Seagate jumpers to slave,
noting data on drive. Load Drive Image --powerquest-- on mostly full
Compaq hdd from CD-ROM. Get into bios and hope to find auto detect for
HDDs. Shut down Compaq. Disconnect CD-ROM so I can have power to Seagate
slave drive; Boot up and transfer data from master drive to slave. Shut
down. Remove master drive, reset jumpers on Seagate to master, replace
Compaq drive with Seagate. Reconnect CD-ROM. Load Partition Magic
--powerquest-- to go from FAT-16 to 32.

I'm not that familiar with Compaq Presario's. Anyone with Compaq
experience see problems with my above plan? My friend's getting ready to
turn this computer over to his daughter in several months. I'll build
him a system for his needs later, and network the 2 together, depending
on what circumstances are.

Best regards,
Jim Griffin

--
Prometheus was the first Beta Tester.
Sisyphus was the Corinthian Systems Administrator.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html